Sunday, June 8, 2008

Damian Marley...check one two




Damian Marley...bias alert, I really love seeing Marleys play. I'm pretty sure I had something clever to say about how great the show was last night, and I dutifully holed up in the production cargo trailer of Mystic Beat land to post up those oh so clever words, but somehow exactly the time I was posting the wifi failed, or the gods intervened, or whatever but I lost all my precious words and my sense of enjoyment for this whole blog-on-the-spot thing...ah, but I digress...partly due to the lack of sleep, perhaps in another post I'll discuss what was happening till way past sunrise...
Anyway, ahem...the Marleys...I speak in plural cause it's always a whole group, extended-family kind of event when the kids of the great one come to play...these guys run a really tight ship production-wise. Backstage at the mainstage for the first time, I run into lots of family-friends from previous festivals and Marley shows. There's definitely a crew that shows up, and it was nice to see some familiar faces. I know a guy who works security for Damian, he's one of the people that walks in front to make sure people don't get too friendly and grabbie and that Damian can cruise right up to stage without having to hail everyone up personally.


I still find it intriguing and entertaining that there's a bunch of people willing to stand by a bus in hopes that somehow they will either be connected enough or charming enough or lucky enough to get called in for a personal meeting. Everyone's got a story, but I digress...
Alright, clearly there are too many details to write about for my sleep-deprived over-stimulated with fun and entertainment brain...one thing that seems important to mention though is that Damian's appearance is directly connected to the fundraising side of Health and Harmony Festival. There's an orphanage being built in Ethiopia, there's lots of information at http://www.theworldfamily.org/ and clever attendents can download the Harmony Fest album at http://www.giveback.net/ Definitely worth checking out...as is today's lineup. I think I'm missing the great Jefferson Starship just now as I type. I'm sure I'll see you're smiling faces soon!

No comments: