Monday, June 9, 2008

Mystic Beat Lounge: Where community meets art and fun







The Mystic Beat Lounge crew knows how to throw a party. I previously spoke of how cleverly they redesigned the cavernous Grace Pavilion into an ultra-cool and seemingly intimate club. That was Friday. Saturday workers transformed the space throughout the day, the decorations and acoutrements doubled, and now they were ready to really show us what a party can be like.




A cacophonic frenzy of multi-media entertainment, that's what I'm gonna call Techno Tribal night. Take Heavyweight Dub Champion, add an operatic fire troupe, circus airialists and the best of the best live video show, combined with lasers, all those incredible layers of decorations, and an exquisitely timed infusion of all these elements, and together you have the genius of what a well-learned collective of artists can create.




The level of production that it takes to pull off such an event is almost beyond my comprehension, but I know Mystic Beat meets every Tuesday since like forever ago and that my friend Raychill has been hard at work on this particular event for the past few months. It was quite a treat to be based in their production trailer for my blogging. I never did find the official press tent, but it was a great opportunity to meet and hang with this finely tuned production crew throughout the weekend. http://www.mysticbeatlounge.com/




I had the opportunity to meet and greet the video artist, Brien Rullman, in the hours following the show. He's a pioneer video jockey, he's been practicing his craft for some sixteen years, long before people had even conceived of doing live video art. Rullman does performs live video art for his living, and has for years. He said he learned "just by trying things" and that the availability of newer, cheaper technology has made this artform much more accessible to the general public. I think I'm gonna start "trying things" when I get home.



No comments: