Saturday, June 7, 2008

Getting In...

I've covered many a festival in my day, and one thing that always rings true is that getting in on a media pass is never easy. I arrived around 8:00pm at the designated Grace Pavilion check in zone for my evening passes courtesy of Raychill, Goddess of Mystic Beat Lounge production crew. The smartly dressed gal at the will call booth asks for my I.D. to scan...I try to erase Big Brother visions from my head...she tells me I get all kinds of cool access passes, none of which she has, and that I need to go to the main gate. So much for my ultra-close parking job...but she tells me I might be able to pull right in at the gate.
Back in the car, drive a few blocks to the main entrance. There's a sign that says will call and artist check-in, but it points to the parking lot across the street and my spidey sense tells me that's not where I need to be. I turn around and park on the road, a bit shocked by the speed of the traffic whizzing by since there's so much activity on the road. There's a group of scruffy kids with dogs hanging out on a tarp right where I park, somehow they seem to be doing more hanging than going to the festival, but I trust everything's gonna be cool.
The will call line is pretty full, but only one guy is in front of the media check in, so I'm thinking this second pass stop will go quickly.
The guy in front of me has a bit of a sexy spanish accent, which he uses effusely as he tries to charm the two ladies in the window to give him his way. I hear bits and pieces of the conversation, something about him buying a bunch of the wrong tickets, now he wants to exchange them, the girls are telling him no, he's not having that...I'm just wondering why this issue is being addressed at the media booth...ten minutes later and apparently the rico suave charm works cause he seems to leave happy with his way.
I've got two separate passes for daytime and nightime, but another I.D. scan reveals I've got backstage passes but no ticket...I can hear the percussion of Mickey Hart in the background and now it's my turn to resolve a ticketing problem...Doesn't take too long, apparently I know the right names, and I'm given the backstage stickers and a pink wristband. Not sure if this is what I'll need, but at least I'm in...

No comments: